Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Popovers

I can't remember why I tried these popovers in the first place. It was most likely because I had never made or tried them. This recipe was also in a new cookbook and when I get a new cookbook, I like to try something right away. Whatever the reason, I am glad I did. We all love these popovers. They are buttery and crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. I do not like eggs in pretty much any form but I love the slightly eggy taste inside. Popovers are quite similar to eclairs or Pâte à choux.

The boys love to help when making these. They can do pretty much do all of it by themselves. They can crack the eggs, pour the milk and measure the salt and flour. They also love buttering the muffin tin. *HINT* When letting children crack eggs, have them crack each egg on the bottom of a bowl. Any mess is contained and if you need to pick out a piece of shell, it is much easier. Pour each egg into the mixing bowl after it is cracked.

Along the way, I have learned a couple things. Most importantly, Eggland's Best eggs do not work for whatever reason. I tried a couple times and each time ended up with a tin of hockey pucks. The popovers didn't rise. Secondly, using a blender makes this really easy. Add the eggs and milk to a blender. Mix. Add the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth and well blended. This makes for easy mixing and pouring.

The oven needs to be preheated, hot and ready to go when the popovers are put in to bake. When baking, DO NOT open the oven until the time is up.

We love these served with some butter and homemade strawberry jam.





Perfect Popovers
Mollie Katzen

2 Tablespoons butter, melted
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt


Preheat oven to 375°F.

Brush the inside of 12 muffin cups with melted butter.

Break eggs into a large mixing bowl. Add milk and beat well. Add flour and salt; whisk in until well blended. Pour batter into each muffin cup; cups should be about half to two-thirds full.

Bake 30 minutes. Remove muffins from pan and prick with a fork to let steam escape. Serve immediately.

1 comment:

  1. They look very nice. I don't think I've ever tasted a popover, but I just might try them.

    ReplyDelete