Saturday, November 21, 2009

Swedish Tea Logs




I got this recipe from my mom. She got it from a friend, JoAnn, who is famous for these. The recipe if from 1962  and was a Pillsbury Junior Bake-Off Winner. Ardythe Dey won $1000 for the recipe. 


The recipe was easy to make and is impressive. It is also rich and delicious! I have not seen what a Swedish Tea Log is supposed to look like,  so I winged it. I will put the recipe in its original format.








Swedish Tea Logs

Adapted from Ann Pillsbury


Buttery-rich, no-knead dough wraps around a butter-pecan filling. 
Makes 3 coffee cakes


Mix............... 1 packet of yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons) in 
                     1/4 cup warm water.


Sift Together.  2 1/4 cup flour
                     2 tablespoons sugar
                     1 teaspoon salt
                       into mixing bowl.


Cut in........... 1/2 cup butter until particles are fine.


Add.............. 1/4 cup Evaporated Milk
                    1 unbeaten egg and yeast mixture; mix well. Cover; chill 2 hours               or overnight.


Cream.......... 1/4 cup butter. Add
                    1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar; cream well. Stir in
                    1/2 cup pecans, chopped.


Divide...........dough into thirds. Roll out one part on a floured surface to a 12x6-inch rectangle.
                    Spread with one-third of the filling.


Roll up..........starting with the 12-inch side; seal. Place, crescent shape, on a cookie sheet lined 
                    with aluminum foil. Make cuts along outside edge 1 inch apart to within 1/2 inch of
                    center. Turn cut pieces on sides. Repeat with remaining dough.


Let Rise........in a warm place until light, about 45 minutes.


Bake............at  350º for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown. Frost while warm.          


Vanilla Glaze 
Brown 2 tablespoons butter. Add 1 cup sifted powdered sugar and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Stir in 1 to 2 tablespoons evaporated milk until of spreading consistency.







13 comments:

  1. Looks awesome, can't wait to try it yummmmm :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look really tasty! What changes were made from the original recipe? And the new blog looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The original recipe had brands for almost everything AND 1/2 cup currants or raisins in the dough. I was making this for my parents, and my dad doesn't like raisins, so I omitted them. After eating it, I don't think I would like raisins in there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sure was delicious. Do you have a good pie crust recipe? I need to make a couple pies this afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I was growing up my mother used to make a Swedish Tea Log (this was in the early 1970's), but I remember it with coconut and raisins along with ground pecans. It was absolutely delicious and there was never enough. My mother has Alzheimer's now with no written log of any of her recipes or cookbooks to be found. How much shredded coconuts should be added to the recipe 1/2 cup to a cup?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The only thing you did wrong was in failing to rotate the cut sections 90 degrees. The cut side should be down allowing the pastry to expand easier and the finished product to look similar to a chain of cinnamon buns.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have saved Christmas for me. I have been making this recipe since the 60's. Every Christmas Eve each one of the adult children would be given a log to have for Christmas morning. My granddaughter was going to come to my house so I could pass on the recipe and I have looked everywhere and could not find it. So thank you I will be more careful with our favorite recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been making this recipe for years. I still have the newspaper clipping with the original recipe on it. thought it was about time I put it in my Accuchef cookbook.......... I don't put raisin the dough and the nuts I sprinkle on after spreading the butter mixture. just makes it easier.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been making this every Christmas for years as gifts for friends. I received the recipe from my mother in the 70's It is DELICIOUS with raisins in the dough and 1/2 Cup coconut added to the filling!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My mother made this for many years ago no with various Christmas cookies , all our family and friends couldn't wait to get one as a gift during the holidays.Unfortunatly mom passed away this year so I'm going to try to continue the tradition hopefully it tastes as good as hers did for so many wonderful years.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This recipe was in the 1964 or 69’ Pillsbury bake off. I found the cookbook and started making this in 1976 when I was 11 years old. I made it for my european mother who just loved it. The only thing I do different is I use cream instead of the milk. I also grind the nuts and I add 1 cup of ground up sweetened coconut. Oh, and i add 1 tsp grated orange rind to the frosting. It makes those danish taste like Pillbsbury orange cinnamon rolls from the can that you bake, and are in the refrigerator section near the crescent rolls! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have made this since the early 70s but I double the filling portion. I found the original amount was not enough. So nice to learn the origin!!!! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for posting! My mom made these “coffee cakes” every Christmas. I still have her recipe which is the original 1962 newspaper clipping - gives all name brands! We use currants in the dough. Always make a little extra frosting. My sisters and I keep trying to make ours taste just likes moms...getting closer each year!

    ReplyDelete