Monday, December 14, 2009

Baked Ziti

As you have probably guessed, I like recipes that are easy. This one is just that - and flexible to boot! Even better. I have been making this baked ziti recipe for a long time now. When it was just Ray and me, I would make this in two 8x8 pans and pop one in the freezer for later. I usually have the ingredients on hand or can make do with what is in the house without sacrificing the taste. I don't always make it with the sausage. Sometimes I use all ground beef. I have also used diced, leftover beef roast in the place of the ground beef and sausage.  If I don't have provolone, I will use Italian blend and/or mozzarella.




Baked Ziti

Epicurious

1 pound uncooked ziti
1/2 pound ground beef
1/2 pound ground sweet Italian sausage
2 26-oz jars pasta sauce
6 ounces provolone cheese -- sliced
1 1/2 cups light sour cream
6 ounces mozzarella cheese -- shredded
1/2 cup parmesan cheese -- grated

Preheat oven to 350.
Cook pasta until barely al dente (will cook further in oven).
Combine the beef and sausage and brown in a skillet. Add the sauce and simmer until pasta is finished.
In a 9x13 pan coated with cooking spray, spread half of the ziti.
Layer the provolone cheese on the ziti, then spread the sour cream over the cheese.
Ladle half of the sauce mixture over the sour cream.
Spread the remaining half of the ziti in the pan.
Cover with remaiining sauce, top with the mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
Bake, covered, for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for 5 more minutes. Let the pan sit for 10 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment