Monday, February 15, 2010

The BEST Chocolate Cake

By now you know, I am all about tried-and-true recipes. Don't get me wrong, I love trying out new recipes like anyone else, but when I find one that becomes a tried-and-true, JACKPOT!


We had my parents over for my Mom's birthday and when I asked what flavor cake she would like, she said chocolate. Easy enough. Well, once I started going through my cookbooks, it became a little overwhelming. I like a challenge, but I had some time constraints and wouldn't be able to do something too time consuming,


I have read/ heard about the Black Magic Cake from Hershey's and once I saw the recipe I knew it would be the one I would try. Then I read the recipe from the back of the container of cocoa and the Perfectly Chocolate Cake was really similar. I decided to combine the two recipes and it is a winner.


This cake is very easy to make. The ingredients are found in most pantries. You don't need to melt, sift, or alternately pour. It can be done in one bowl and all you need is a hand mixer. Outside of measuring, this cake is just as fast and 100 times better than any box mix.


The frosting really sets off the cake and takes it to another level.


You have to try this cake, it is rich, moist, chocolately and DELICIOUS!








Molli's Chocolate Cake


Cake
2 cups white sugar
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk or sour milk*
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup black coffee


Frosting
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
2/3 cup cocoa powder
3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract


Heat oven to 350 F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.


Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, buttermilk, coffee oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. (Batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pans.


Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.
 
Frosting: Cream butter. Stir in cocoa. Mix in vanilla. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency. Add small amount additional milk, if needed.


*sour milk - 1 tablespoon white vinegar plus milk to equal 1 cup

No comments:

Post a Comment