Monday, February 1, 2010

Pork Bulgogi

A friend was talking about Bulgogi and the next day, this came in my inbox from Everyday Food. Perfect timing! I have made something similar before so I knew we would like this.

I made a small error when making this. C does not like anything with too much spice. I don't know what I was thinking. Well, I do. I read the recipe before cooking and saw that the marinade was thrown out, so I thought no big deal, the crushed red pepper will be tossed out. WRONG! It stuck to the meat. I got most of it off, but after one bite the boys had a fit. We ended up rinsing C's off. H takes the heat better and ate it once the red pepper was off. I know for next time to cook their portion separate and to add the crushed red pepper to ours.

I doubled the recipe because I cannot remember ever buying a pork tenderloin that didn't wasn't at least two pounds.When I sliced the meat, it was partially frozen, and it sliced much easier. I sliced it very thin. I also did use the toasted sesame seeds and it really added a nice flavor to the dish. I served it over rice.

I am not a big leftovers person, but this was so good that Ray and I had it for leftovers.






Pork Bulgogi
Adapted from Everyday Food

6 small garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup soy sauce, low sodium
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons sesame oil
2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
2 teaspoons ginger, freshly grated
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
1 pound pork tenderloin, very thinly sliced crosswise
1 large onion, cut into 12 wedges
1 tablespoon olive oil
Toasted sesame seeds (optional)

In a medium bowl, combine garlic cloves, soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil, crushed red pepper, ginger, and ground pepper.



Add pork tenderloin and onion wedges; marinate at least 10 minutes. I marinated about an hour.


In a 12-inch skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. In batches, brown pork and onion, 3 to 5 minutes per batch. Discard marinade.


Return all pork and onion to skillet; cook until warm. Garnish with toasted sesame seeds, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment