Thursday, March 25, 2010

Green beans and garlic

Green beans are one of my favorite vegetables. I love them pretty much any which way. These are one of those recipes that are SO simple yet impressive. They come together very quickly. If I am making them for company, I will have the ingredients measured out so it goes that much faster, down to the green beans already steamed. 

If you aren't a wine person, you could easily use chicken or vegetable broth instead. 

The boys are hit and miss with these. I think it is because of the wine. I need to take my own advice and just use broth. I don't always use the almonds either, but they really give a nice flavor and texture to the dish.

To toast almonds, I use the stove top method. I put them in a non-stick skillet over medium-heat, medium-high if I am not going to move a step away from the pan, and stir often until nicely browned. The nuts can go VERY quickly, so turn off the heat once they are browned to your liking. If you don't remove them from the pan immediately, they will cook some from the residual heat in the pan.





Garlicky Green Beans

1 lb fresh green beans -- cut into 3" pieces -- frozen works fine too
2 TBS butter
3 cloves garlic -- finely minced
1 tsp chicken bouillon granules (can crumble a cube)
1/4 cup white wine
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 - 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted

Steam or boil green beans for 4-5 minutes until crisp-tender. 

In medium skillet over medium heat melt butter, add garlic, and saute for 2 minutes or until tender and fragant. 

Add green beans, stir well to coat with the butter/garlic mixture, sprinkle chicken bouillon over beans and stir to mix, then saute another 3 minutes to desired doneness. 

Turn heat up to medium high, then pour in the wine and let it sizzle and evaporate most of the alcohol. Lower heat, add salt and pepper to taste, and stir thoroughly. Top with toasted almonds. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment