Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Turkey Gyros

 I am note-writer on my recipes. In cookbooks, yes cookbooks, computer print-offs, and with sticky notes on recipe cards.  I like to have our rating, yes I rate recipes, but not always, if it was fast and easy, what we liked about it, and any changes. Whenever I see this recipe, I smile. What makes me smile is the note I made after C had them for the time. My note on the recipe says "C Devoured". Actually that was an understatement. He was probably around 18 mo or so and he just went crazy. I still smile thinking about it.

I got this recipe online a few years back. Ray and I always liked them. They are easy to make and the leftover meat freezes well. Now I purposely double the batch so there is plenty for the freezer, and we have a super easy dinner for later. I also got into the habit of making these for new moms. I give them a container of meat, a container of Cucumber Sauce, a package of pitas and sliced tomatoes. They can be eaten whenever.

It seems like a lot of ingredients, but really it is just ground turkey and onions with some seasonings added in. I make the Cucumber sauce first so the flavors have time to meld. I also taste before serving. Sometimes it needs a little extra sauce. Be sure to scrape all the seeds out of the cucumber as they can thin the sauce in a bad way. I use a spoon.

This meal can be on the table in less than 30 minutes.

We eat out Turkey Gyros with extra sauce.





Turkey Gyros 

1 pound  lean ground turkey
1/2  cup  onion
2 teaspoons  minced garlic
3/4 teaspoon  salt
1/2 teaspoon  dried marjoram
1/2 teaspoon  dried rosemary
1/8 teaspoon  black pepper
 4  pita breads - 7"
Cucumber Sauce 
1 cup  plain nonfat yogurt
1 cup  sour cream, light
1 medium  cucumber -- seeded and chopped
1/4 teaspoon  dried dill
1/2 teaspoon  salt
1 dash  black pepper


In bowl combine all Cucumber Sauce ingredients, stir.

Mix all turkey ingredients in non stick skillet and brown. 

Spoon hot meat mixture over pita and top with sauce



No comments:

Post a Comment