Friday, January 15, 2010

One-Pan Whiskey-Flavored-Pork Chops

I first came across this recipe back in January of 2001. We really enjoyed it. But, I don't repeat a lot of things. I like to cook, obviously, and enjoy making new recipes. So this got buried. The next time we had it was in 2004, when my mom was staying with us to help out right after C was born. Sadly, I think we have had this once or twice since then!

I saw some nice boneless pork chops at the grocery store and just picked them up to have on hand and pop them in the freezer. Then I remembered this recipe. (My print-off is in a stack of tried-and-trues in a drawer in the kitchen that I went through a number of times over the holidays, so I most likely saw it then.) I got them back to the fridge to thaw out.

I didn't exactly have all the ingredients in the house. We didn't have any fresh mushrooms but I did have some dried porcinis that I used instead. That was fine, but the fresh does taste better and I would recommend using those. I used the soaking water in place of the water to help oomph the mushroom flavor. I also had probably half cup of sour cream so I used all that I had. The recipe does taste better with the full amount.

The boys enjoyed these, as do Ray and I. They don't take a lot of hands-on time, but you do have to plan a ahead because they take an hour to bake. Don't let the half cup of whiskey scare you. The alcohol burns off.







One-Pan Whiskey-Flavored Pork Chops
Cooking Light, January 2001


2/3 cup fat-free sour cream
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
4 (6-ounce) bone-in center-cut pork chops, trimmed ( I use boneless most often)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 (8-ounce) package presliced mushrooms
1/2 cup whiskey


Preheat oven to 300 degrees.


Combine the first 6 ingredients in a small bowl.


Sprinkle pork with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add pork; saute 5 minutes on each side or until golden. Remove pork from pan. Add onion and mushrooms to pan; saute for 3 minutes. Carefully add whiskey to pan; cook for 1 minute or until liquid almost evaporates. Stir sour cream mixture into pan. Return pork to pan; spoon sauce over pork.


Wrap handle of skillet with foil. Cover and bake at 300 degrees for 1 hour. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment