Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Wilted Spinach with Garlic and Chiles

I love spinach. It is something that I didn't really eat much of until I was an adult and cooking on my own.

This recipe comes together so quickly. It is also nice because you can easily remember the recipe without having to look it up and you can also tweak it to your tastes.

Since this recipe has crushed red pepper, I do add that after I have removed a portion for the boys. This is a lesson I have learned the hard way, and sadly, do not always remember. Remeber to decrease the amount of red pepper if you do this. Another lesson I have learned the hard way.




Wilted Spinach with Garlic and Chiles
Vegetables Every Day

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil - I use less
2 medium garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes or 1 small dried red chile, minced
2 1/2 pounds spinach, flat-leaf, washed and shaken dry
salt

Heat the oil in a deep stockpot. Add the garlic and hot red pepper flakes and saute over medium until the garlic is golden, about 1 minute. Add the spinach leaves and stir to coat evenly with the oil. Sprinkle with salt to taste.

Cover and cook; stirring occasionally, until the spinach is partially wilted, about 5 minutes. Remove the cover and cook another minute or two or until any liquid in the pot has evaporated. Adjust the seasonings and serve immediately.


No comments:

Post a Comment