Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Oven Baked Beef Stew

My friend Sandy shared this recipe. It is so, so good. It has become a Fall/Winter favorite. It is something I save for the weekends, because it takes a couple of hours to cook. It is started on the stove top and then moved to the oven.


The chopping doesn't take too long, and most of it can be done while the beef is browning. The flavor is well balanced. It doesn't seem to matter what type of beef you use - I've used an English Roast as well as the stew meat. It comes out delicious every time.


It has been about a year since I made this last. I knew the boys had forgotten it, Ray did too at first, but I knew they would love it once they tasted it again.I love being right. I was asked to put this on our list to make forever. The boys asked for seconds too!


This makes a large batch of stew. There was enough left over for a couple servings for lunch as well as a big bowl for the freezer for some harried weeknight we need something quick. The stew freezes and reheats well.







I had between a 1/4 and 1/2 bag of green beans and corn in the freezer, so I threw those in too. It normally doesn't look this corny.









Oven Baked Beef Stew


My friend Sandy


1 tablespoon. oil
2 pounds stew meat, cut in 1½" cubes
1/3 c. flour or 1/4 c. cornstarch
1 teaspoon salt
2 teapsoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon marjoram
14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
10 oz. beef  broth
1/2 cup dry red wine
2 cups cube peeled potatoes (I use closer to 3)
1 cup sliced celery
4 medium carrots, sliced (2 cups)
3 small onions, chopped
1/4 tsp. pepper
16 oz chopped green beans, frozen (optional)
16 oz corn, frozen (optional)


Preheat oven to 325ยบ. Heat oil in 4 quart Dutch oven over medium. Brown beef cubes in oil.


Add flour, salt, garlic powder, marjoram and pepper. Stir in tomatoes, broth and wine; mix well. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Add remaining ingredients, mix well.


Cover; bake for 2 hours or until meat is tender, stirring twice during baking. If using the corn and/or green beans, add to the dutch oven with an hour left in cooking. I always use both.

No comments:

Post a Comment