Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Scalloped Potatoes

Ray jokes that I have my "specs"  (specifications) and I will admit I do, but to me, some foods just go together. They make each other taste better. I can't cook a meatloaf without having scalloped potatoes. It was how my mom always served it when I was growing up.

I remember my Grandma making these potatoes. I remember my Mom making this potatoes. The taste is the exact same when I make them. For whatever reason, when we were kids, my mom started calling these Scalloped Bo-Bos. My boys looked at me a little funny when I said what I was making. I had to explain about why. I think it helps that my Mom, Brother and I also say Vanil for vanilla. Don't ask me why. I can't even remember. I can hear both of them saying it if I close my eyes. I have gotten the boys saying Vanil. :)

Back to the food. With the help of a food processor, this is an easy dish to make. It is a matter of thinly slicing potatoes and onions and mixing with a few other ingredients. We only had some fingerling potatoes left from our CSA, so I used those versus going to the store. Since they were so small, I scrubbed them really good and didn't peel them.

These are good served warm, but they are also good cold out of the refrigerator.

I will share the recipe the way my mom gave it to me.







Scalloped Potatoes

Peel and slice about 8 potatoes and 2 onions. (medium size)

Mix together with about 1/4 cup flour, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. I do it with my hands because that is the way my mother did it.

Put in  3 or 4 quart casserole sprayed with Pam. Cover with milk. Put 3 pats of butter on top. (~ 1 tablespoon)

Bake at 350 degrees for 1 1/2 hours. If you are doing something at 300 degrees in the oven, you can do it at that temp for 2 hours, i.e. Rice Pudding.

No comments:

Post a Comment